Monday, December 10, 2007

Two Scoops!


For a couple of months now I have been concertedly trying to eat healthy foods in appropriate amounts in an attempt to stave off total bodily self-destruction. One of the things I have done is start the day off with cereal...not the super sugar crap but the real stuff. I have convinced myself that Raisin Bran is an excellent way to start the day. I had been buying the local store's brand cause its cheaper and they produce or package basically the same thing. I found myself
thinking "hey, this stuff tastes so much better then the stuff they used to make" not realizing that they now make no less than 13 different types of raisin granola with almond clusters and organic raisins, which is why they can charge $5.00 a box.
Now I am a person who is easily overwhelmed by mundane choices at the grocery store. I can often be found at the toothpaste aisle shuffling back and forth muttering about Colgate's invisible shield and tartar control with or without whitener?! So when I made the decision to go with Raisin Bran It was with the great hope that my time spent in the breakfast food aisle would be shaved considerably less than that of the aforementioned personal hygiene products.
Now its not that I'm afraid of progress or change or anything like that. These new products really do taste great. In fact I found myself eating 4 or 5 bowls of this stuff a day. Its just that they have at least as much sugar as frosted flakes and coco puffs and with all those great nuts the fat content is certainly up from the "0" I was looking for. So yesterday I was doing the shopping for the week and I am at the local mega store* and not my local community store (*still not a nationally known chain as I am a big supporter of buy local) and I ran across that familiar purple box of love. Post Raisin Bran! Saved from ever having to think in the cereal aisle again! I brought it home and placed it on the shelf, silently admiring the heft of the box...25 0z. Family size. With Sun Maid™ Raisins and two scoops in every bowl. I was not disappointed either this morning when I carefully slit open the packaging and poured into my favorite bowl a hefty pile of those familiar cardboard flakes and rock-hard grape nuggets. The first bite was truly revealing... ahhh yess...like freshly cut hay only less aromatic!
All of this leads me to my question of the day.
"How do they keep the raisins evenly distributed through the flakes?" This is no less than a true miracle of modern times. Why don't the raisins just end up on the bottom of the box? Do they ship them up-side down? I don't know, but you can rest assured that this stuff is the real thing! Just like I remembered it.
If all this has piqued your interest in the truly fascinating world of Breakfast Cereals please pick up a copy of Scott Bruce and Bill Crawford's terrific book...Cerealizing America: The Unsweetened Story of American Breakfast Cereal. It is absolutely awesome and you can check out this cool site as well. http://www.lavasurfer.com/bchof/halloffame.html
Peace-Out Good People.
p-didn

1 comment:

Spinning Jenny said...

Golean Crunch is the way!